Creole Shrimp Étouffée is a traditional southern stew is filled with tender shrimp, the “Holy Trinity” of veggies, and flavored with a decadent golden roux. This stew has a refined warmth because of seasoning, however served over rice is the last word in Louisiana consolation meals!
Rejoice Louisiana and their meals tradition with this comforting stew. Easy components are used to create a masterpiece because of taking a while to organize them. To finish your Southern expertise be sure you check out this New Orleans Gumbo, Shrimp Creole, and this Cajun Garlic Butter Shrimp.
Louisiana is an space of our nation that’s wealthy in historical past and that historical past shines within the meals which can be made and loved there! On account of being on the gulf coast, shrimp is a well-liked choice as a protein with regards to cooking. And the shrimp actually shine on this deeply flavorful stew broth.
Etouffee is a French phrase that means “smothered” which refers back to the protein being smothered in a sauce. Etouffee is a dish that may be present in each Cajun and Creole cooking which can be each highlights of Louisiana delicacies. This specific recipe I’m sharing immediately is a creole model Shrimp Etouffee. It’s a thick stew, loaded with tender shrimp and served over rice.
The way to Make Shrimp Étouffée:
- Put together Shrimp: peel and devein the shrimp, plus take away the tails to make having fun with the meal simpler. Cowl and place the shrimp within the fridge till prepared so as to add to the stew.
- Make broth: that is an elective step. If making your personal broth, save the shells from the shrimp and add to a big inventory pot or dutch oven. Add in scraps from the celery, onion and bell pepper, a wedge of lemon, garlic cloves and water. Carry this to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Pressure and use the broth within the recipe.
- If NOT making your personal broth: a mixture of hen broth and clam juice provides a seafood model broth and makes use of retailer purchased components, this protects time if wanted. Plus you should buy shrimp that has already been peeled, deveined and tails eliminated which saves time when prepping the recipe.
- Frivolously Brown Roux: the bottom of the étouffée sauce is made by frivolously browning a mixture of flour with butter or different fats, like oil. The longer the roux cooks, the darker it turns into. For our étouffée we would like a pleasant golden roux. That is what provides a thick gravy like texture to the sauce, and offers a depth of taste to the stew. Be sure you keep shut and stir this whereas it cooks, the roux can burn very simply.
- Add “Holy Trinity”: it is a phrase that describes the traditional mixture of onion, celery and bell pepper that could be a staple in most cajun and creole cooking. Let these veggies prepare dinner within the roux till softened.
- Add broth and simmer: add the broth to the veggies and roux and blend collectively, add extra seasonings. Carry to a low simmer and let this prepare dinner for 10-15 minutes.
- Cook dinner Shrimp: the shrimp may be cooked in a skillet with some creole seasoning and served on prime of the completed dish. OR you possibly can add the shrimp to the stew and allow them to prepare dinner within the stew for about 10 minutes. That is my most well-liked technique.
Does Étouffée Have Tomato?
That is purely choice. Creole cooking usually does have a tomato based mostly sauce. Cajun cooking however doesn’t. In case you are undecided which model you would favor, add the entire components for the sauce minus the tomatoes, carry to a simmer, style and determine if you would like tomato to be added.
What’s the Distinction Between Étouffée and Gumbo?
Etouffee is a thicker stew since we’re solely cooking our roux to a pleasant golden colour. Gumbo entails cooking the roux to a deep brown coloring, which additionally impacts the thickening energy of the roux.
Gumbo additionally will historically have multiple protein included, shrimp and sausage or another kind of meat.
Extra Southern Recipes to Take pleasure in:
Creole Shrimp Étouffée
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook dinner Time 40 minutes
Complete Time 55 minutes
Servings 8 Folks
Creole Shrimp Étouffée. This traditional southern stew is filled with tender shrimp, the “Holy Trinity” of veggies, and flavored with a decadent golden roux. This stew has a refined warmth because of seasoning, however served over rice is the last word in Louisiana consolation meals!
- 2 lbs shrimp medium to massive
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all goal flour
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 inexperienced bell pepper seeds and membranes eliminated, diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ cup hen broth
- ½ cup clam juice
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp sizzling sauce
- 1 (15 ounce can) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups white rice cooked
Put together the shrimp by peeling, deveining, and eradicating the tails. Place the shrimp in a medium dimension bowl, cowl and retailer in fridge. If making your personal shrimp broth save the shells, directions are in notes beneath to make your personal Shrimp Broth.
Cook dinner this roux over medium warmth for 12-15 minutes till the roux is a golden brown colour. Stir consistently whereas cooking to stop burning.
Add within the onion, celery and bell pepper. Stir to coat within the roux. Proceed to prepare dinner one other 5 minutes or till the veggies have softened. Add within the garlic and stir.
Pour within the broth and clam juice, stir to mix. Then add within the extra seasonings, worcestershire sauce and sizzling sauce. Stir within the tomatoes. Let this come to a simmer, cooking for 8-10 minutes.
Add the shrimp to the broth, cowl and let prepare dinner for 10 minutes.
Serve the shrimp etouffee over cooked white rice. Garnish with contemporary parsley or sliced inexperienced onion if desired.
Do-it-yourself Shrimp Inventory: if desired make your personal shrimp inventory to make use of on this recipe! Be sure you buy Unpeeled shrimp.
- Shells from peeling shrimp
- Scraps from celery, onion, and bell pepper
- lemon wedge
- 2 quarts water
Carry this to a boil, cowl and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Pressure out the veggies and shells. Use this broth within the recipe above.
Creole Shrimp Étouffée
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 370 Energy from Fats 72
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 4g20%
Ldl cholesterol 301mg100%
Vitamin A 673IU13%
Vitamin C 23mg28%
* % Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.