Kokum, a small cherry-like summer season fruit, is pink in shade and deepens to purple when ripe. It’s extensively discovered within the Western Ghat area of India. This is without doubt one of the primary the reason why they’re principally used within the cuisines of Gujarat, Maharashtra, and coastal states of Southern India. The fruit is bitter with a faintly candy aroma and is used as a spice. When added to meals it imparts a purple-ish shade. Some cuisines additionally use it as a most well-liked substitute for tamarind in curries and different dishes. Other than getting used for cooking and as medication, they’re extensively used to make plush Kokum sherbet as nicely.
Furthermore, Kokum has quite a few well being advantages as it’s wealthy in antioxidants, important vitamins, nutritional vitamins, and minerals required by the physique. Kokum oil and butter are additionally extracted from its seeds and incessantly utilized in making candies and sweets. It additionally finds itself in lots of magnificence merchandise of pores and skin and hair.
Moreover, on this submit we might be Kokum fruit’s dietary details, well being advantages, and the perfect methods to eat kokum.
Desk of Contents
Dietary Info of Kokum
Kokum is a warehouse of a wide range of important vitamins, which helps preserve your physique wholesome.
100 grams of Kokum incorporates:
- Energy: 60
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 14.3g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.5g
Other than the above vitamins, the Kokum fruit additionally incorporates:
- Acetic Acid – A vital nutrient to your physique that regulates the blood sugar ranges.
- Ascorbic acid – Improves your immunity system and acts as an antioxidant agent to your physique.
- Manganese – Improves your bone well being and will help with illnesses like arthritis. It additionally regulates blood sugar ranges and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Hydroxycitric Acid – Naturally reduces your urge for food, and prevents any cravings or starvation pangs. A tremendous element for all of your food plan meals.
Well being Advantages of Kokum
#1 Treatment for Acidity
Kokum is an age-old home made repair for acidity. Dried Kokum consumed in a sherbet or juice type will help scale back acidity. Merely add sugar, salt, and chilled water to dried Kokum to make scrumptious kokum sherbet to alleviate acidity.
#2 Improves Digestion
Kokum shields the useful intestine micro organism within the physique, aiding digestion. It’s anti-bacterial in nature and counteracts the dangerous results of sure micro organism that trigger indigestion, dysentery, constipation, ulcers, bloating, nausea, and flatulence. Kokum is a pure treatment for all such gastric illnesses.
Kokum has large anti-inflammatory powers. It may be straight utilized to sores, rashes induced by allergy symptoms, and burns to appease the infected pores and skin. It additionally has anti-allergic properties. It stops histamine formation by successfully reducing a physique’s pH degree.
#four Wealthy in Antioxidant
Garcinol is a robust antioxidant that’s harvested from Kokum. It’s recognized to be anti-cancer in nature and aids in cell regeneration. It scavenges free radicals and protects from carcinogenesis.
#5 Energy-Full of Vitamins
Kokum incorporates a number of essential vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin B3, vitamin C, folic acid, calcium, iron, potassium, and zinc. It additionally supplies the physique much- wanted dietary fiber that helps decrease ldl cholesterol, improves bowel well being and assists in weight reduction. It does this by maintaining you feeling full for an extended time. This helps you keep away from overeating and gaining weight. It is usually nice for pregnant girls because it helps relieve nausea, vomiting, and cooling down the physique.
#6 Anti-aging properties
The antioxidants in Kokum impart its pure anti-aging properties. It helps in beautifying your hair and pores and skin by repairing and regenerating cells. The traditional medicinal follow of Ayurveda makes use of Kokum extensively from relieving rheumatoid arthritis to therapeutic cracked heels. Kokum butter will be combined with soaps and lotions to rejuvenate and refresh the pores and skin by bettering its elasticity.
#7 Beat the Warmth
Kokum is indigenous to many tropical areas the place for hundreds of years folks have used this fruit to maintain the warmth at bay. Consuming it as a calming sherbet or juice helps preserve the physique cool and refreshed. Summers will be exceptionally harsh in tropical areas. So, fruits like Kokum are a pure low-caloric solution to preserve your physique hydrated and wholesome.
Greatest Technique to Eat Kokum
Kokum could be very versatile. It may be consumed after drying or infusing with water or solely consuming it as a fruit. Identical to tamarind, it may be used to provide a tangy twist to something. It’s added to coconut flavored curries, fish curries, dals, chutneys, pickles, women finger/bhindi and potato dishes. Even kokum petals are utilized in cooking, they usually impart a stunning sourness to any stew they’re added to. Beneath are some Kokum impressed recipes rooted within the Indian delicacies.
Prep Time:15 minutes; Cooking Time:30 minutes
Kokum curry is a conventional Goan recipe that’s normally served with rice. It wants the next components: –
- 7 kokum fruits
- 1 tablespoon ajwain
- 7 dried pink chilies
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup coconut
- Grind collectively ajwain, chilies, black pepper, and coconut collectively in a blender.
- Add the sleek combination in a pan.
- Put in kokum fruit.
- Let it simmer within the pan for half an hour. Preserve stirring in between.
- Serve sizzling with rice.
Prep Time:25 minutes; Cooking Time:10 minutes
Kokum kadhi is one among a form as a result of it doesn’t use both curd or besan- each components which might be important to an everyday kadhi. This can be a scrumptious Goan interpretation of the well-known North Indian dish of kadhi. You’ll need the next issues: –
- 20 kokum fruits
- 2 tablespoons inexperienced chilies
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons jeera
- 5 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 dried pink chilies
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Combine kokum, inexperienced chilies, salt and about 2 cups of water in a bowl.
- Let the combination soak for 15 minutes.
- Pressure the combination. Shifting ahead solely the kokum water might be used within the recipe. The Kokum and inexperienced chilies will be disposed of.
- Warmth vegetable oil in a pan and add jeera.
- As soon as jeera begins spluttering add curry leaves, pink chilies, and garlic. Prepare dinner on a medium flame for about 5 minutes.
- Add the already ready kokum water, coconut milk and salt to the pan. Combine the whole lot and prepare dinner on a medium flame once more for five minutes.
- Serve sizzling with boiled rice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cooking Time: 30 minutes
This Marathi dish is a winsome mixture of tur dal and Kokum. This conventional dal recipe could be very wholesome and simple to make. You’ll need the below- talked about listing of components: –
- 2 cups tur dal
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- four inexperienced chilies
- 2 tablespoons goda masala
- 2 tablespoons coconut
- 2 tablespoons jaggery powder
- 7 kokum fruits
- Strain prepare dinner the tur dal. Additionally, add some salt and turmeric powder within the cooker.
- Let it whistle four occasions earlier than taking it off the flame.
- The dal have to be mushy.
- Put together a separate pan. Warmth some oil in it.
- Add curry leaves, mustard seeds, inexperienced chilies, and turmeric powder. Stir nicely.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes after which add the mashed tur dal within the pan.
- Add goda masala, coconut, jaggery, and Kokum.
- Prepare dinner on a medium flame for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with ghee and cilantro if desired.
- Serve sizzling with rice.
This tangy fruit has been blessed with umpteen vitamins which will help preserve your physique wholesome. This fruit can fight signs of ageing, function a treatment for acidity, helps preserve your physique cooler, helps you lose weight, and improves digestion. This tangy delight can also be celebrated in lots of regional Indian cuisines for its scrumptious style and overwhelming well being advantages.